Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Leftovers & Homemade Bread




Hi ladies!  I was hoping to get this post up earlier in the week while everyone's refrigerators were still overflowing with all the Thanksgiving deliciousness, but, of course, I'm a little late!  Until a few years ago, we (sadly) would throw out any leftovers once we started to tire of turkey/cranberry sandwiches.   Now that my family is growing, I have really become a little obsessive about not wasting!   So this year, I've already made about 16 cups of turkey stock from leftover bones, two different soups and a turkey pot pie.  Especially because my husband typically works outside even in the colder months, I really like to serve soup in the winter.   I always supplement the soup with a homemade bread to give the meal a little more substanance.  Plus, there is always a child that is not crazy about the soup  du jour, so at least the bread will fill her up!

To see my recipes for making Turkey Noodle Soup & Turkey Stock see here and just replace the chicken bones for turkey bones and the chicken for turkey.

To make Potato Soup just put your leftover mashed potatoes in a stock pot and slowly add in the turkey stock until you the desired consistency.  For added flavor, yiu could start by sautéing onions, carrots and celery until translucent, then add the mashed potatoes and stock but it's pretty good without too if you are short on time.  A little bacon is always good too!

To make Turkey Pot Pie, I use this recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  Instead of making a homemade crust, I usually just roll out a tube of refrigerated crescent roll dough over the top and cook for about 20 min. So easy!

Here is my recipe for the bread:

Homemade Bread
1 cup warm water
2 TBSP Sugar
.25 oz packet bread machine yeast

1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt

Mix first three ingredients together in bread machine.  I use this one.
Let yeast dissolve and bubble/rise for about 10 min.
Add oil, flour and salt.  Select basic or white bread.  It takes about 3 hours to cook.
This is also a great snack to whip up when we are having unexpected guests and no time to run to the store.

Thanks so much for reading!!

~ Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment